Thursday, June 14, 2012

You win some, you lose some

This project I was SO excited about doing! Unfortunately it didn't go as planned.  I guess every project can't go perfectly.  Let me explain a little better.  When I was a kid my Mom made these cute little wooden houses. The details that were painted on are so cute and delicate looking.   It wasn't anything overly complicated though and since it's something I've looked at my whole life I thought "HEY I could make these!"  HA! easier said then done!

I decided it would be so fun to make it into a girls night project with my sisters. So I cut up a bunch of 2 x4's into little 4 to 6 inch houses.  Using 1x3's or 1x4's to cut out some chimneys and extra parts of the houses.  That's where I came across my first speed bump.  I didn't realise how hard it would be to us a saw on such small pieces!  I would not recommend it unless you have the right tools, otherwise you are at risk of loosing some fingers!

Well, with the help of my neighbor and sister's tools I had it all cut out.  Gathered up some paint and found the smallest paintbrush I could find for painting details and we all got to work.  I feel so bad I took a bunch of pictures while we all painted and now I can't find them! I put off posting about this long enough so it will have to do with out them.  Just envision a mess of paint and houses all over a big table.

After we decided on house colors and got the roof and base color on we quickly found out just how hard it is to paint details! My tiny paintbrush wasn't small enough and it was so hard to keep a steady hand to make perfect straight lines.  We worked on it for a few hours and I don't think any of us completed one house.  I left feeling completely defeated and in awe over my Mom's amazing art work on her houses from years before.

After a few weeks break from it I decided to try again and managed to make one house look not to bad.  Whatcha think?:


Then I let it go again a few weeks and yesterday decided enough was enough I was gonna give it my best go at it then if it didn't work out, forget it!

This time I let my kids paint on the left over houses.  They loved it! and it keep them busy for an hour or more. Perfect summer project :)




Well I'm not that happy with the results and am pretty embarrassed to show them to you but I figured there might be actual artists out there that could see these and and use this idea to make super cute houses.



 

Well sorry to make you suffer through this one I'll be back with something better soon!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment