Monday, June 4, 2012

Outdoor blanket made from drop cloth

So my sewing machine still isn't fixed. And how I miss it!
 Funny you don't realise how much you use something until its gone.  I can't wait any longer and wanted to share the project that I was working on when my sewing machine decided to stop. So it's not completely done but lets just pretend it is, OK? 

So I needed a blanket that I could use for photo sessions that was a little bit bigger.  The one that I've been using I liked but it was a little bit too small. So it dawned on me I still had a ton of drop cloth left and why not use that!  It's a good strong fabric that could be machine washed and I wouldn't mind if it got dirty or had to lay it out in the dirt. 

But if you don't need a blanket for photos this would also make a great picnic blanket!

So using my other blanket as a template for the width I cut it out adding a few more inches for the length.


I was left with this:


Then I cut some strips about 3.5 inches wide. 


Then sewed them all together to make one long strip.  Then I sewed it all the way around the big piece of fabric I cut out. 

 

After that I folded the top of my binding down a 1/4 of an inch then pinned it to the back of the blanket.


Like the picture below.  Since I was working with so much fabric it was much easier for me to pin the fabric down before sewing. (sometimes I'm lazy and don't like to pin)


Then sew as close to the edge as possible.  Do this all the way around.


About the time I got half way done is when my sewing machine stopped but you get the idea. Now it's ready for photo sessions or picnics (or will be soon) .  I keep thinking it would be cute to paint some stencil on it too, to maybe dress it up a little.  



That's it for now!  Hope you're having a happy Monday!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment