Wednesday, May 16, 2012

DIY Stool (photog prop)

I've had a few different photo sessions last week and through this week and I really wanted a little stool of some kind to sit kids on. Well the easiest way for me to get what I want/need is to make it!   I actually started out thinking I'd make more of a crate but by the time I was half way done I decided to try something different.  I'm so glad I did!  I love the way it turned out!

Here's what I did:

I still have pallet wood left so most of this is made from pallet wood.
I mostly just eyeballed the width/length/height that I wanted it to end up.  I also used a basket that was about the measurements I needed to help me come up with what to cut the wood at.

Start out by cutting two length pieces and two width and nail or screw together.  I started out with nails, mostly because I was experimenting as I went along.  Then I went back and added screws to secure it all together.



Then cut the board to go on top.  I tried to cut them so they were flush with the frame.  My cuts are not perfect but I like the roughed look.


Next I added 1x2s in each corner, those measurements just depended on how tall I wanted the crate/stool to sit.  At this point I was still going to make a crate but then I flipped it over to make sure it was sitting high enough and I thought it looked pretty cute as a stool.   


So I added 1x3s next to the 1x2s to give the legs added support. Plus, I wanted the legs to have more of a stocky look.  I nailed the legs into the frame and also to each other to help hold them tightly together.  Once again since I was making it up as I went along I didn't use wood glue but I would highly recommend it! 



I actually only did that to the front legs but only because I ran out of  1x3s.  I will do the same to the back legs when I can get more wood.

Look how fun it's starting to look!  So much more cuter looking than a crate...I think anyways



Next, sand down any rough edges or rough surfaces.  Then paint.  I'm a big fan of spray paint, so much easier and faster!


 

I ended up making a another stool but made it a little smaller.  I did everything the same except I had 2x2s that I used for the legs.




This is how it turned out in the photoshoot.  It was kinda funny how the blue matched her outfit exactly :) If you want to see more pictures from that session click here.



Have a great day!

Chelsea
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment