Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Valentines Garland

Yeah! Time to decorate for Valentines Day. I love how this holiday gives me an excuse to have way to much reds and pinks in my house.  
I'm a little slow jumping on the garland bandwagon, but thought it would be cute to make one out of burlap, then stencil letters on it.  Here's what I came up with:

I never ever decorate in my bedroom.  Once the thought of having this garland above my bed, popped into my head (say that 3x fast :)), I couldn't get over it and it had to be done! I like it so much I'm gonna have to spend sometime coming up with more decor ideas for my bedroom.


And of course one for the living room.

Here's how I made them:
I cut out four 11 x 11 squares of burlap for the garland in the living room. Then the ones in my bedroom are 9x9 squares.  Then I folded them diagonally down the center to form the triangle and sewed across the top.  Leaving enough room to pull twine through. 

Then, using a word document I typed out my letters making them as big as I'd wanted it for the garland. I chose a simple font but you could get as fancy as you wanted.  Printed them out and used these to trace the letters onto freezer paper.  Cut out the letters. Then iron onto burlap.


Place another piece of freezer paper between the layers of burlap, so paint doesn't seep through. Then using a foam paint brush I dabbed on the paint. 


After it dries for a few minutes pull off the freezer paper.  I love how the freezer paper comes off nice and clean. You don't have to worry about any glue or waxy residue being left behind. ( I had to learn this the hard way and tried using heat bond paper once. Yikes!) Then securing a safety pin to the end of a long piece of twine pull through the tops of your triangles.  Hang on the wall and you're done!


More Valentines ideas coming soon!  
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment