Thursday, February 9, 2012

Be Mine

Okay, last Valentines project for the year. 

I have always been a sucker for applique.  I'm not quite sure why, but I feel like I'm cheating somehow.  Instead of sewing little pieces of fabric together (which I may or may not have the talent or patience for) all I have to do is get the iron and a pair of scissors. Maybe someday I tackle piecing but for now I'm very content with applique. 


For the letters I just used a pattern book that I've had for a long time that has the letters ready to trace for applique.  But if you don't have one and would like to do it too.  All you'd need to do is open a word document find the right font and size, probably bold it to make it wide enough.  Then print. 
 Only thing to remember for applique is when you are tracing the letters onto your heat bond paper it has to be backwards.  That way when you iron it on to the fabric and cut it out it will be facing the correct way.  So all you'd need to do is turn paper (with your printed letters) front side down then trace onto heat bond paper.  I was going to check and see if there was a way in word document to print them backwards.  Sorry I haven't gotten there yet so still not sure? 

After you iron on letters to fabric.  Either using your sewing machine or by hand, sew the blanket stitch around letters.  I have done it by hand and by sewing machine and even though the machine is faster sometimes i like the way hand sewn looks better.


Hopefully you can see my hand sewn stitches in the picture on the left.  Also, just in case you've never used this stitch on your sewing machine, it is #13 on mine. So you know what it looks like, in picture on right.




Even though I didn't make it weather proof I thought it looked cute with my heart pillow.  So either I'll be bringing my heart pillow in or I'll just keep my eye on the sky for storms but like I mentioned in the last post we very rarely get rain around here.


Enjoy!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment