Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Altered Jeans

 Well it's officially getting hot here in Southern Utah and I'm ready to get out the shorts!  I decided instead of hitting the stores and spending way too much on only a few pairs of shorts; I'd save a few bucks by altering my worn out jeans and turning them into shorts.

Plus, these pairs of pants just happen to be my all time favorites and I just can't part with them. They are the only pair I own that fit just right.   Why is it so hard to find a pair of jeans that actually fit right in the hips and rear?  At the beginning of last fall I bought two new pairs of pants, which I was very excited about (I don't shop for clothes very often).  Unfortunately, after wearing them for a few hours they became baggy!  I can not stand when jeans do that!!  They fit perfectly in the store, then somehow after wearing them for a few hours they are two sizes too big!  Grrr!

Since these are my favorites the knees finally gave out and the hems at the bottom where frayed. So with a little TLC they can continue to be my favorites all summer long. :)

Here's what I did:

First I put on my jeans and marked how short I wanted the shorts to end up.  I marked them by using a pin, if you look closely you can see them in the picture below.  I wanted my shorts to be the Bermuda style.

(Sorry these pictures are a little off I used my hubbies computer to edit this time and it just isn't the same)

I knew I wanted my hem to be about 1 inch. So I cut 1 1/4 inch below my mark. 


Then I turned my shorts inside out and folded and pinned the end up 1/4 of an inch all the way around and sewed in place.


Next, I folded and pinned the ends up 1 inch and sewed around again.  This time I made sure to start and stop near the in seam so my back stitches wouldn't be as noticeable.  Also I tried to stay as close to the edge at the top of the fold.  Then, I sewed around again about 1/4th of an inch from my first line.  I had to go slow to make sure my lines were nice and straight.  For those of you who have a double needle for your sewing machine you wont have to worry about that and this step will be a cinch!!  One day I will buy one.


Turn shorts right side out and the hem should look like this:


Do the same for the other leg and that's it!! 


It took me an afternoon to complete two pairs of jeans.  I was so pleased with the results that I've decided to do the same to my kids jeans that are worn in the knees but still fit in the waist.  I haven't done it yet but it's definitely on the to do list.  They seem to either wear out the knees or grow a few inches before they actually out grow the waist.  What a huge money saver this is for the new season!


Hope you are all getting out and enjoying this amazing weather!
Bye for now!

Chelsea
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment