Friday, April 6, 2012

Tutu {for photo shoot}

Not sure if I mentioned this or not but, like the rest of the world, I'm in love with photography! Over my kids spring break I got the chance to do a newborn session.  I knew I wanted to put a tutu on this cute little babe.  So I quickly made one.  Once again I wanted to make one with items I had on hand.  
 Waste not want not, Right?

A few years back I made a Tutu for my oldest daughter while she was in dance. I still had some left over tulle from that, the only thing I didn't have was elastic for the waistband.  I knew I needed somewhere around 14 inches for the waist but I wasn't positive on size. So instead I thought it would be fun to make the waistband out of ribbon.  Then I could just tie it around and it could easily be adjusted for any size of baby waists.  Luckily, I had just enough of a silky white 1 1/2 inch ribbon.

Here's how I made it.

Since tulle is such a slippery fabric and can get tricky to cut.  I folded the fabric in half, then in half again, and again until I had it rolled into a couple inches wide.  Just made sure you're fabric is lined up at the edge. Sorry I should have taken pictures of that step.  Then I took my scissors and cut every two inches.  I thought it made the cutting process sooo much faster and easier.  Then, I measured my strips and cut off the length I needed.  I made my strips around 9 inch long. 

Next, I Pinned the tulle to the center of my ribbon


Then sewed in place.


Then, I folded the ribbon in half over the top of the tulle, pinned, then sewed around 1/4 inch from the bottom of the ribbon.  I did end up sewing all the way across the ribbon but in retrospect I probably would have only sewed ribbon in half where the tulle was and left the ends free.  I think that would have made it a cuter bow when tying around baby.


Then I was left with something like this:


Cute....but I felt it could use a little something else. Using scraps of left over strips of tulle I made a little rosette. Using hot glue to hold the flower together and also to attach it to the waistband.

Much better I think!


And here is how it came out in the photo shoot:


I really loved it! She was a lot smaller than I had expected.  It's crazy how fast you forget how small they are!! So the adjustable waistband was very helpful!  To see more photos from the shoot check out my photography website at greatandsmallphotography.com

Have a great weekend!

Chelsea
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment