Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cracker Jacks


Since it's almost the weekend I thought I'd share a yummy weekend treat!

Cracker Jacks! You wont be sorry if you make this recipe.


You need a big bowl and pop about 1 cup of popcorn kernel. Then get a big saucepan and put the following ingredients in and cook on med. high:

1 1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C white Caro syrup
1/2 C molasses
3/4 C butter

Bring to a boil and boil for 2 to 3 minutes or until it gets to the soft ball stage. Either use a candy thermometer or you can do the cold water test. I just learned what the cold water test was and used it for the first time while making this recipe. So I'll explain for those who don't know like me. Drip a little bit of the sauce into a cold cup of water if it is to the soft ball stage it will form into a little ball in the water.  If it crackles when it hits the water that means you have boiled too long and it is ruined. I was worried about boiling too long so I periodically did the cold water test.  It worked like a charm! 

Once it gets to the soft ball stage take off the heat and stir in 3/4 tsp baking soda. 
  
The baking soda will cause the sauce to expand quite a bit so that is why you need a larger sauce pan.
Once the soda is mixed in pour over bowl of popped popcorn.  Now add dry roasted peanuts.  I didn't measure it out I just kept adding until I thought I had enough.  Mix really really good.  Then while it is cooling occasionally stir so the popcorn isn't in big clumps.

Then enjoy!!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment